Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Holiday Pics

Amita and Rahul's Wedding




The weekend before the holidays began brought enjoyment with friends and strangers alike. We went to an Indian wedding, which included a Sangeet on Friday night, the ceremony on Saturday, and the reception on Sunday. Amita (the bride) wanted to make sure the money that they paid to rent the various halls went to good causes, such as the Latin American Museum in Long Beach, as well as CalState LA. Bless her heart for her thoughtfulness, but Eric and I had to rent a stupid car to get around all weekend (I dislike LA with a passion).

Bungra and delicious food aside, the most memorable part of the weekend was the wedding ceremony itself. And by memorable, I mean it was the most interesting and beautiful ceremony I have seen. It's beauty astounded me so much, mostly because I had no idea what was happening for the 2 hour long arrangement! I am pretty certain that over half the people in the hall were in the same boat as me - together we sat there, happy for the new couple, content to watch this cultural phenomenom without any clue about its social context. By the looks on their faces, Amita and Rahul were confused/surprised/intrigued just as much as everyone else.

To make matters more interesting, about 30 minutes into the ceremony, some commotion started in the front of the seating area. It looked as though men were fighting over something - pulling and pushing each other, forming alliances in order to win a prize of some sort....it turned out that they were fighting for possession of the groom's shoes! I'm not sure who proved to be victorious, but it was entertaining enough.

If you care to read about Indian wedding ceremonies, go here: http://weddings.iloveindia.com/gujarati-wedding/index.html




Christmas in Georgia with my Family







My Favorites

No comments: