Saturday, December 01, 2007

Microbiology is for winners


David Goodsell does research for Scripps and paints these beautiful pictures.

I am going to go as far as to say that he inspired me to study biochemistry and microbiology. His pictures made me fall in love with pharmacology. And in studying pharmacology and volunteering and working in a hospital, I realized I wanted to become a doctor. David Goodsell's art inspired me to study medicine!! I am going to Medical school next year!

I am a very visual person - I learn better by seeing pictures. The pics below are a few examples. If you look at the (mostly) green pic, you'll see a funky little red thing in the middle - that's an enzyme, embedded in the phospholipid bilayer that surrounds each and every one of our cells.

That enzyme is called cyclooxygenase. It catalyzes a reaction that releases these little chemicals which cause inflammation - which in turn leads to pain and discomfort. Biology terms aside (for you non-bio majors), when you pop Ibuprofen into your mouth, the drug eventually travels to your cells and lodges itself into that little red enzyme - thus blocking the inflammatory pathway.

Interesting stuff, no? I love this guy....Thanks David Goodsell for your wonderful paintings!

this is DNA replication: quite a complex process



Red blood cell - hemoglobin carries Oxygen and makes your blood look red!

























E. coli has a little tail/whip that allows it to move (called a Flagella)


The yellow stringy things are its DNA



Posted by Picasa

No comments: